Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Ankle Recovery etc...a blog

Okay, I fell, cracked me ankle in 3 places, was looked after exceptionally well by the staff at Stoke Mandeville...
pre op...

She loves me..

I needed to show I love her...

Post op...

Wash...pah, whats one of them...

Still loves me...(even though she cant see out of her gummy eyes!!)

Home...

Look...outside world!!

my new bestest friend...


...now I'm home and for the first time in my life, a proper invalid.  Not someone who is coughing and spluttering with pig flu or man flu or some other idle complaint..

So, lets keep a blog of my recovery ( my..our because I won't recover without the help of Suzie and friends,,,)..

Op #day 1 Sunday 21st January 2018

My first operation, didn't really know what to expect...all very professional, anaesthetist calm and clear...went 'down' at 1240, into anaesthetist room at just about 1 pm, chatting to me...then I woke up!!

No sense of doziness or dizziness before op at all!!  I have a fleeting recall of a short dream by then I just opened my eyes looking at ceiling in the recovery room!!!  Remember looking at clock - 2.45. They must have been waiting for me so they could finish their shift!  Zoomed back to the ward.

My leg below my knee felt like a block of cement - they had put a 'block' in for pain relief, no feeling in nerves for upto 24 hours.

Suzie had stayed at mothers Sat, (they are both unwell!!), so she arrived around 4ish...

still loves me...

Post op #day 2 Monday 22nd January 2018

Although they had mentioned, in passing really, that it would be expected that I would be discharged 24/48 hours after 'The Op', it came as a bit of a culture shock to be told I was going home yesterday ( Monday) ...Suzie had the baby car, no warm clothes for me and I became quite distressed ( and probably depressed) with it all.  But we made it!

Oh, but the pain!!  By the time we arrived at The Nest, I was a tad hurty...

The lovely John and Denice ( who is having to deal with her mum passing away on New Years Day) were here to help me get in the house, which was fun with the Zimmer, in the dark - but as ever Denice is the organised one with torches etc...I have never been so glad to sit down on a sofa with me legs up!!

Emotionally I had gone from shocked, depressed, distressed ( I cried my eyes out at one stage in the afternoons proceedings) to now into organiser mode - all selfish, all aimed at MY comfort..lets put this here, lets do this, put that there...need shopping...SIGH...

End result?

Pizza delivery for tea, J & D are being our shopping buddies and bed is the BEST place in the world..

Post op #day 3 Tuesday 23rd January 2018

Hectic start -
Made a tick list !!  But it worked!

Suzie wasn't TOO late leaving for work, I'm sat here lying, as per the only real instruction from surgery team, with my foot 6 inches high than my heart and i have all my needs for most of the day!! 

Pain...was feeling okay at first this morning, then I went to the loo, as soon as I dropped my ankle towards the floor, WHAM!  Blood shot down there and it complained in the LOUDEST possible fashion. I am determined ( being a wimp and all) to keep the pain level well down below my threshold for as much as I can for these first few days, so bed it will be...

Welcome to the office...at least I have a window with a breeze and birdie noises outside!!

No comments:

Post a Comment